Monday 3 May 2010

Chinese brush painting.


I got a book out from the library about Chinese brush painting. I have been really enjoying following the instructions in the book for how to hold the brush and paint different things. It is nice to try something new and compared with normal painting it is really relaxing, brief and satisfying. My favorite artist Brett Whiteley described it as "brief beautifully brief".
I am trying to paint plum blossoms at the moment and it is a bit tricky trying to get them to look right but it is all practice and I would like to start painting different types of birds in this style.

The above image is of a Willow tree with two different seals one of my initials and the other is Chinese for peace. This had been painted on the front page of my new moleskine sketch book #8.

No comments:

Post a Comment